According to latest news, Malaysia will begin to implement tourism tax in August. Is this good or bad for people working in the tourism industry? By having tourism tax in this time of economic downturn, it will no doubt increase the burden of tourist and they will be more cautious when it comes to spending.
What is Tourism Tax (TTx)?
A tax charged at a specific rate to a tourist staying at any accommodation premises provided by the owner or operator of said accommodation premises.
Why is Tourism Tax implemented?
- It is a collaboration between the Government and the industry to enhance tourism experience for tourists.
- The gains will be used to develop the tourism industry, namely the enhancement of tourism infrastructure and facilities, as well as tourism promotional activities and campaigns for the country.
- To protect, preserve and conserve resources, culture and heritage for the benefit of not just the present generation but also the future generation.
When does it start?
The start date for the imposition of tourism tax will be 1 August 2017. However, owners and operators of accommodation premises can start registering themselves from 1 July 2017.
Who is the regulator of Tourism Tax?
The Ministry of Finance and the Royal Malaysian Customs Department.
What is the tourism tax rate?
The tourism tax rate is fixed according to the ratings below:
- Five star : RM20/room/night
- Four star : RM10/room/night
- One, two and three star : RM5/room/night
- One, two and three Orchid: RM2.50/room/night
- Non-rated accommodation premises : RM2.50/room/night
Example: Occupancy of 1 room night and the room charge is RM 160.00 per room/night in a 3 star hotel.
Although the tax amount might seem insignificant, but when coupled with service tax and consumption tax, it will increase the burden on tourists, affecting their consumption when visiting the country. However, it is not a bad thing for the nation as they will have more money to repair and improve its facilities to be more prosperous. Hopefully the management will be able to make good use of this money!
- 五星级: RM20/房/晚
- 四星级: RM10/房/晚
- 一至三星级: RM5/房/晚
- One, two and three Orchid: RM2.50/房/晚
- 无评级: RM2.50/房/晚
举例：一间三星级酒店的住宿 一晚RM160 它的收费如下：